Thursday, January 7, 2010

My Personal War on Terrorism

My Personal War on Terrorism

Its official, I have finally entered the War on Terrorism. It was high time I committed myself to this struggle that President Bush so intelligently thrust us into. And in this war my weapon of choice is- Not shaving my beard. Yup you read it right I am planning to grow a beard every time I am scheduled to fly around.

Now this may seem odd, even weird perhaps, but a better weapon you will not find. Hear me out. Being brown in America and flying around is, let’s just say, not the most enjoyable experience. Every time I decide to take a flight I am asked by my concerned family and friends to take a shave (and I am not even Muslim, I am South Asian, things are a lot difficult for my Muslim friends). And their concerns are justified and appreciated. Growing a beard means that you risk being profiled, have to undergo “random” checks at airport security, basically it a pain in the rear. But by taking a shave I and my fellow beard loving brown people are giving the terrorists and profilers exactly what they want. By taking a shave the only people who lose is us.

We are free men and live in a free country and have as much a right to grow a beard if we so chose as any Tom, Dick and Harry. Shaving the beard in fear of being profiled because some crazy zealot decides to blow up a plane somewhere means that we are giving up our freedom to live and do what and how we please within the jurisdiction of law. It’s like deciding not to wear a red shirt during McCarthyism for the fear of being thought of as a communist. What’s next? Just because many terrorists have black hair we change our hair color? Trust me blonde hair on brown people don’t even look that cool.

We are not terrorists and have nothing to fear. By blowing planes up terrorists want to strike fear into the hearts of people. And if the reason we shave is us being fearful then they succeed in what they set out to do and that is unacceptable.

I mean if you don’t like a keep a beard than by all means shave, but if the only reason you are shaving is your fear of being ostracized than everything that you as a responsible citizen of the world should be fighting for is lost.

So there you have it. I have decided to grow my beard for my next flight and every other flight I take in the near future. This time I support keeping the bush ;-)

2 comments:

Radha said...

well said!

Krisha Shrestha said...

haha,....blonde hair on brown people don't look good...that is so true. Wonder what hair color do suit us except black and brown (hint: those trying to be cool people who dye their hair crazy should take a hint here).
I guess it is much harder for you boys than it is for girls and yes the rules are sometimes bothersome and why do they trouble us as well but then they are victims of attack and they have to do what they can to protect themselves I guess.